Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Traveled this week to Baltimore, Maryland to participate in Baldrige Examiner Training and realized I would have some free time on my first afternoon in town, so I thought I would find a dayhike I could do on the Appalachian Trail, which runs through Maryland about an hour west of Baltimore. I rented a car and drove to a trailhead just outside of Greenbrier State Park. This 3-mile hike (each way) would take me to the first Washington Monument, erected in 1827. It was raining lightly as I started out, and the rain persisted for the entire hike, which took me about 2 and a half hours and actually measured a total of 6.4 miles. The last hour and a half the light rain changed to a heavier rain and I was pretty soaked by the time I reached the car. But the hike itself was a great experience. The forest it runs through is lovely, and so much like the Ouachita National Forest with its green-lichen covered boulders, mayapples and ferns and tall deciduous trees. There was considerable elevation change here and there, but nothing too challenging. The only other living thing I saw was a squirrel. So now, I have hiked (on) the Appalachian Trail, ha! Here are a few photos:



















No comments:

Post a Comment